Monday, December 1, 2008

Christmas Decor Show and Tell


I may spew piss and vinegar at times, but I love Christmas. I loved it as a kid, I started to fall out of love with it as an adult, (mostly due to the retail prostitution of the season) but I have begun to fall back in love with Christmas through the eyes and hearts of my children.

Now, we get the decorations up the day after Thanksgiving, and painfully take them down on New Year's Day. (pending degree of hangover)

For any of you eager beavers like us out there, here's your chance to tell me about holiday things you love...I'll put a Mr. Linky below so you can let me know you have posted something for us to see/hear about...feel free to post any time time this week...I'll come find you!

So here is what we cant live without...

First off, outdoor lights...love to put them up, and they make you feel like you're coming home to the holidays every time you hit your driveway. Yes, that's a red arrow on the lawn...you know, so Santa knows to visit early and often...get it? My wife thinks the big tree in front looks a bit silly since I cant get the lights any higher...and I think she's right...any thoughts on what I should do?




Next, the tree...a big 9ft prelit number we got at Costco...some years a real one, but mostly with young kids we stick to this beauty, and it has served us well.




Note the star...just a $20 Target topper, but we've loved it for years even though it is fairly heavy and always takes some rigging to avoid the Charlie Brown effect.




An eclectic variety of ornaments...from the elegant to the silly...something from every year.




The Kissing Ball...given to us by a wonderful friend Michelle, always one of the first things we put up, and yet it doesn't get enough use..gonna have to remedy that this year.




Lighted garland on the stairs...my wife's job, and she always does it well...one of my favorite accents to the house.




Stockings from Pottery Barn...I'd rather not think about where these originated from in our house, and I won't share the tale...that's a PnV post for a different time...but we do love these stockings, held up by heavy silver hangers on the mantle. My son pulled one down on top of himself tonight. No injury. Lesson learned cheaply.




Finally, this is the item that is most unique to our home...the Santa Wish List chalk board. My wife and I found it in a "millionaire" store (no, we are not) and after leaving without purchasing it, I later returned to get it for her as a surprise. The kids draw on it, and we try to keep it safe during the year, but we keep damaging Santa's damn nose.




So, behold Mr. Linky. If you would like to share some of your prized holiday bling, fill out a Linky and let us see! We are dying to one-up you with one more trip to Macys.


Stumble Upon Toolbar

37 comments:

jill jill bo bill said...

Isa your wife for hire? I LOVE LOVE LOVE that chalk board Santa. Everything looksgorgeous. (jerk) Mine is still in boxes and I cannot make myself get festive. Send me the pills you took....

jill jill bo bill said...

Isa? Sorry. I am not italian. Would it help if I was? Cuz I could so do a Tony Soprano on you if need be...

Deb said...

i put a wreath on my front door. does that count?

Tenakim said...

What a great idea- I will join as soon as I put the post together- looks awesome!!!

kel said...

I love the kissing ball.. very pretty!! Your house is gorgeous!

Amy W said...

Yeah, gorgeous house! I am feeling some major pressure to get out the decorations....

Amy W said...

Ugh- I just automatically put my name in the Mr. Linky and I do not a have a post up about Christmas stuff. I guess I really have a fire under my *ss to get those decorations up now!

Denise @ Sunflowers, Chocolate and Little Boys said...

Your decorations are gorgeous and I love the Santa chalkboard. We put up our measly little 4 foot tree that we go when the kiddos were born. Someday we will return to the days of real trees that scrape the ceiling. At least I can dream.

Good job on the decorations and on surprising your wife with the chalkboard. You rock!

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

we have the same stockings!

Jenners said...

Great decorations! We did our decorations and I'm working on a post about our Christmas tree but won't have it up until Friday. Can I come back and link to it then? Until then, I posted a link to some really cool Christmas light photos we took with my hubby's new digital SLR. I swear they came straight from the camera and were not Photoshopped in any way.

Love the Santa Chalkboard...and I think we have the same Target star!

Carissa(GoodnCrazy) said...

Wait? No mission monday? is it over? We had a 12 foot lighted tree in our other house that had 15 foot ceilings in the entryway... I know. Redonculous. (We just saw Bolt, dying to use that new word).

Hmmmmm..I'll have to go with my nativity set we brought home from Poland...can I get that up later in the week and come back with it...?

Great idea, I needed a WW.

Anonymous said...

Wow you get a fancy! love your decorations. I love Christmas trees all dressed up but I was always the one seeking off trying to avoid the family even of decorating the tree. I just didn't like five people all elbowing each other to try to but a few Christmas bulbs on a the same time. but I do love Christmas.

Kristina P. said...

Your place looks great! It's only been in the past 2 years that I've really gotten into decorating. I'll post pictures someday.

Ash said...

You're going to have to wait until WW for mine, but I've got two words to tempt you...

NASCAR Santa.

You spew piss and vinegar? Thanks for the reminder to always drink from a travel cup when reading your pearls.

Gorgeous house!

Anonymous said...

The staircase is my favorite accent. I wish we had one like that just for that purpose. Gorgeous.

Whitney R said...

I love the lights outside your house! The kissing ball. I suggest a latter for that tree. Or just climb the darn thing.

I can't get my husband to put up lights. But I want them! If not this year, then EVERY YEAR starting next.

Anonymous said...

Your house is absolutely gorgeous! You are inspiring me to get my butt in gear with the Christmas deco!

Evolving Mommy Catherine said...

We have been talking about getting everything decorated...but our grabby hands 1 yo is giving me second thoughts. I will say that looking at your pics makes me want to get my house all light up and beautiful! Thanks for sharing...I enjoyed the storied behind the items too.

tiarastantrums said...

your home is beautifully decorated!! Love the kissing bball!

Brittany said...

Oh gorgeous! I need you all to come to that to my house!

Cajoh said...

Our stuff is still in boxes, but I will say that my wife hand sewed all of our stockings. If we get them up this week, I'll sign up and be sure to take pictures.

Michelle said...

Wow, nice job decorating! We are way less grand in my neck of the woods.

Annie said...

I love that chalk board, too!
We use a ladder and a broomstick to wind teh top of the outdoor tree just like yours.

Anonymous said...

Hey...first time over. I linked from someone. I just love all the decorations. I was just getting mine out today. They are fun to go up but not fun to take down.

Great pictures.

Clare said...

i love all of your decorations...we have the same pottery barn stalkings and lights all up the stairs...one of my favorite parts too!

Kristen said...

I think you came to my house and took these pictures-seriously. We have the same garland on the stairs and the same freakin' stockings...will share pictures later.

Crafty Christina said...

Wow! Your decorations are gorgeous. I'd hire your wife too!

Jenni said...

Your decorations are beautiful, Jay! Mine are soooo ticky-tacky...I am a "More is More" kind of girl when it comes to Christmas decorations!

Rhonda said...

Great post!! Love the decorations!

Piece o' Coconut Cake said...

From what I'm reading, your going to have to tell us all where you got your Santa chalkboard. I LOVE it and would love to track one down! Pretty please?!

Leslie said...

All my stuff is in Chile. I'm here in the states now for a visit. But I am soo loving all of your decor. Looks gorgeous! And I too agree. Seeing everything through your kids eyes, it's wonderful!

Linda S said...

gorgeous decorations!...we had those stockings until one got a big stain on it...leaky something. very sad.

Anonymous said...

hello! new commenter - I LOVE all your decorations! So pretty! your house looks gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Hi there, first time visitor, first time commenter! *waves enthusiastically* Found you via AmySprite.

Anywho, are you on flickr? I was so impressed with your pics, and wondered what you used for aperture and shutter speed on these.

Dory

University of Iowa Meg said...

Beautiful decorations!

Ben and Bennie said...

Wow! Absolutely stunning decorated home! I too have come back around to enjoying Christmas. Having our special needs son in the hospital over Christmas didn't help. Now that he's older and healthier the joy is returning, particularly since he's enjoying the lights and whatnot of the season.

Anonymous said...

Your house is looking gorgeous with those beautiful Christmas ornaments.

posthumous pointer
To laugh often and love much; to win the respect of intelligent persons and the affection of children; to earn the approbation of honest citizens and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to give of one's self; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to have played and laughed with enthusiasm and sung with exultation; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived - this is to have succeeded. - Emerson