Saturday, November 8, 2008

Here is how it's done: #4 Make your Comments "reply-able"


When you visit my fledgling blog and are kind enough to write a comment to tell me how witty, intelligent, and fiery handsome I am, those comments I have set to come to my email, where I can pump up my ego wherever I am in the world.

But many times, I want to be able to respond to your comment right there over email, and unless you have it set to do so, I will be facing a "no-reply" address in the face...and my ego will be instantly deflated...for I will know that you adore me, but you don't REALLY want to strike up a conversation with me.

First, here is how to make the comments come to your email from your blog:

Click Customize
Click the Settings Tab
Click Comments
Where it says "Comment Notification Email?" enter your email address...you can enter up to TEN addresses!
Click Save Settings, and you are done.

Now, to make your comments reply-able:

Open your Profile Page
Click Edit Profile
Put check marks in "Share my profile" and "Show my email address"
Under "Identity" and "Email Address", put the email address you wish for to publish, and have your comment replies to come to
Want to change your "Display Name" while you are here? I like to use "Jay @ HalftimeLessons" for a little branding...I wouldnt use it for your name, of course...
Click Save Profile, and you are done, my friend.

Thanks to Carissa at "Good and Crazy People" for first teaching me this one. She seriously rocks...go look around.


Have you turned off that damn Comment Word Verification yet? Here's how.
And check out my right sidebar for more Blogger How-to articles.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

26 comments:

Ash said...

Fine! I'll go turn off my comment-verification thing.

But if I get suckered by some guy in Kenya needing me to buy a car and ship it to him, I'm giving him YOUR number.

Em

Jay @halftime lessons said...

Tell him I said hello...and he still owes me from that Nigerian Bank deposit deal...

amelia bedelia said...

gheeze mr. bossy! okaay! ok, now test it and see if it works!! i want compliments!

Anonymous said...

Oh I hear you! I posted about this before too but I don't think I got more than a handful (not that I have more than a handful of readers) to change it. I hate seeing no-reply - especially when they have just made a brilliant comment that truly deserves a response and recognition. I've started so many e-mails only to realize they are no-reply people. It makes me sad.

Liz {Learning To Juggle} said...

Thanks for sharing these tips. I love getting responses to my comments through email (I actually set this up the other day accidentally).

Anonymous said...

I love getting my comments thru email. I also learned not to use my regular email address to on my profile. I set up another specifically for blog emails. :-)

Deb said...

i don't even know if my comments have to be verified or not, since i don't leave myself comments.

i'll go check it out, though. just for you.

jori-o said...

Thanks for the tips/reminders!

Me (aka Danielle) said...

I totally agree on this one. It makes the experience that much more enjoyable. Especially when you are asked a direct question via comment. Being able to reply directing to their comment from you inbox makes so much more sense. As for the word verifier, I don't know, thats giving up a lot of control for me. I'm a bit of a control freak.

Annie said...

My verification is OFF.
I think you can email me as well.

iheartbowheads.blogspot.com said...

Just went and check this one - I was actually on the up and up - I did think it was funny - I did a giveaway on my blog recently and people would post with no blog and no reply email - hard to get in touch that way :)

Jennifer Richins said...

I've been blogging for a year now, but still pretty new (as to how it all works). I hate the word verification thing, but until I read your email didn't know how to turn it off. Hopefully I'm in full compliance now. :)

J'Ollie Primitives said...

I had my technically literate partner set mine up for me.

thank you God for the technically literate. And thanks for the tips!

Frogs in my formula said...

Brilliant--it's suddenly all so clear!

Jenni said...

Word verification is the devil.

Anonymous said...

Ya know, I HATE when I get the comment notification from noreply at blogger dot com....and it drove me crazy as to why some people's email showed while others showed that crap!

Well I had NO IDEA that mine was one that showed crap! LOL

Thanks SO MUCH for explaining how to fix that. I've fixed mine. :)

Madge said...

oooh, i hate no-reply. thanks for telling people about this...

Whitney R said...

This I did know how to do. Thanks to another recent post done by one of my friends.

Wendyburd1 said...

I don't get it...seriously. What does this do? Why is it good for me to do? I don't get what you mean, what does this DO? Sorry...I am stupid with (very few) things!!

Beth@Pages of Our Life said...

Thanks for these tips! I will go do them now!

Ali said...

I love it when comments are replyable!

stupid smart girl said...

I am so in agreement on that abominable word verifier. I am convinced it was conceived by someone at blogger who worked as a medieval torture artist in a former life.

Cass. Just Curious said...

Thank GOODNESS you did this because it's SO frustrating when I actually DO want to respond to a comment and I can't.

Brenda said...

Ok Jay, since you are so smart, maybe you can answer a question for me. Why don't ALL my comments come into my email inbox? Some do and some don't. Can't figure it out.

Aria said...

Thanks for the info! 'Preciate it! Of course, I was disappointed to realize these were all the settings I had already (thought I was learnin' something) bummer! But hey, I got in there and updated my profile... that hasn't happened since--ummmm June... lol Thanks for that!

Call Me Cate said...

Not sure my witness protection rep with the agency will be happy about it but I believe it's properly enabled now.

posthumous pointer
To laugh often and love much; to win the respect of intelligent persons and the affection of children; to earn the approbation of honest citizens and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to give of one's self; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to have played and laughed with enthusiasm and sung with exultation; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived - this is to have succeeded. - Emerson