Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Sometimes I get it.


There are those who think what I do for a living is menial. Most are doctors. But sometimes, it's me. I've covered this before, I know. I cant let it go.

There are days when I am a sandwich delivery service, or a coffee peddler, to staff who could care less if I were to have an MI right in their waiting room...just as long as they get their dumptruck-sized Mocha Frappucino.

I get down on it, and some weeks seem like an endless beating when the job goes sour.

But then, it only takes one woman to bring me back into the game.

I sat in another mindless waiting room this week, well into the hour I knew I would be forced to rest my bruised and abused behind before getting my 10 seconds of disgust by one of my least favorite primary care physicians. I sat and sat, until a woman got up from the other side of the room, and approached me.

"I'm sorry to bother you", she said, "but I noticed the drug you have and I wanted to tell you how much it helped me."

She suffered from depression. Bad depression. The kind that keeps you in bed, the kind that forces you against your will to be mean to the young children and adoring husband in your home. The kind where you cry. And cry. And cry. And worse.

She had tried to shake it, tried this drug, tried that drug, didn't seem to make enough difference to keep her from ruining the good things in her life. And then she had tried my drug.

This woman looked me square in my eyes as if to try desperately to show me her sincerity, with her tears welling up and her voice shaking. And she thanked me as if I had mixed it in my own kitchen, like it was my idea from the getgo, like I was somehow her savior. And as I tried to play it off to research, and a great company, blah blah, she was disinterested, and simply said, "Thank you".

Now, I am not going to try to make this a rah-rah post for Jay...this is about how she made me feel about what I do for a living. You see, I put up with repeated abuse from her doctor, but endured it to do the job..to pass along the information, and make a case for trying something different. And at some point, he heard me. And then this woman came to see him. And he tried what I suggested.

And she got better.

And her kids are happier. And her husband loves her. And she doesn't cry so much anymore. More for happy things than sad.

And today, I feel better.


Stumble Upon Toolbar

33 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Jay, are you a pharmeceutical rep?

I'm sorry I'm not a better stalker.

Anonymous said...

Wow! That was beautiful. I am so glad she approached you. Those kinds of affirming moments make my bad days easier to handle. Thanks for sharing this!

Tenakim said...

I am curious too- A pharmaceutical rep? Would it be wrong to ask what medicine?

Jay @halftime lessons said...

Kristina-
I prefer "Medical Representative", or "Drug Whore".

Jay @halftime lessons said...

Sorry Tenakim...thanks for asking, but I'd rather not say on the blog. If you are interested, I will email you the link to the drug website, but I cant talk about the drug itself...I'd like to keep being able to feed my family. ;-)
Jay

AndreAnna said...

Glad you had such a nice moment.

Amy said...

What a great post. We all need a little of that in our jobs. Peddling drugs you'd think it would happen to you all the damn time, huh!! (kidding)

Young Momma said...

What a bright light in a dark time, huh? The drug for her, her story for you. :) Touching. :)

Bob and Jenn Peacock said...

I am a nurse so I can completely understand how good that encounter made you feel. It is so great to know that you were able to help someone.

P.S. I also know what it is like to be abused by doctors and such. ;)

Jay @halftime lessons said...

Jenn P-
I know you do...my wife is an RN.
I feel your pain.
Jay

Brittany said...

And to think, when i worked at my mom's Dr's office, all i thought you were around for was free pens and bagels!

You rock! Seriously, keep it up, despite the nasty physicians and stinky waiting rooms!

Ash said...

My brother liked to call himself the "Pusher" or "Caterer." He worked for a branch of Johnson and Johnson way back in the late 80s. He used to say his greatest achievement was making sure the receptionists stayed at their fighting weight.

On a serious note, that is so wonderful that she took the time, and felt brave enough, to let you know what an incredible difference you made in her life. And I do mean "you" because YOU educated her doctor.

And probaly left some pretty cool samples and pens, as well.

Em

Jillene said...

That is AWESOME!!

Nannette said...

These kinds of moments make me realize that we truly are in this thing called "life" together. Thank you for reminding me that today.

Jenni said...

That was you??? It was so nice to get to meet you in person! ;-P

:::puffy heart loves her antidepressants:::

Wendy said...

so nice to be appreciated!! glad you stopped by my blog!! good luck on the giveaway

The Mom Jen said...

Very cool, sounds like something I would totally do!

Thank you and those like you that give MY doctor samples to pass on to me.. ;)

Clare said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog today:0 Love the blog, just spent some time reading your posts. I will be back again!

Great post, it is the little things that make work worth it!

Ali said...

It's funny that moments like these seem to happen when we most need it too:)

Whitney R said...

That's great. :) I loved this post. It was really beautiful. I hope more doc's will listen to you so more people can be happy.

AnnieRoso said...

Good thing Tom Cruise wasn't there; he would've told her all she needed was vitamins and exercise!

I had a similar moment like that this morning that I won't go into here. Glad your moment happened when you needed it the most!

Deb said...

rah rah for jay!

it's nice to make a difference in someone's life.

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

Isn't it wonderful when someone makes you feel like you made a positive difference in their lives?

jill jill bo bill said...

OOOH! I say all us Rn's and Reps join together and kick some MD ass! Who's in?!
Thanks for stopping by and commenting today! I love your blog and see familiar faces, so I will be back!

Hollie said...

I loved this post. Everyone needs some words of affirmation every now and then.....or everyday would be nice!
I read the story of how you met your wife in your sidebar. What a great story!
I'm adding you to my blogroll fo sho!

Luanne said...

Hooray for reeling better!! God always knows when we need that one person to keep us moving! Thanks for what you do...because you are not respected as much as you should be!

Ronda's Rants said...

I am glad that woman had the courage to say something to you and I am glad you received it and understood her feelings!
Someday...I hope the Doctor has the courage to thank you as well!
Great job!

Dto3 said...

So, really, all I need to know, is what can you get me that doesn't require a scrip pad?

Rachel said...

What a beautiful moment for a "drug whore" to experience. (your words, not mine).

Seriously, I'm so glad that woman was able to thank you for the help she received; it obviously helped her to vocalize that gratitude AND it let you know that what the mean doctors say means nothing.

Tyne said...

Jay, thanks for coming by my blog. I always appreciate a new visitor.

Isn't it so fulfilling to know that what you are spending so much of your life doing, is noticed every once in a while? I feel like that, too. Thanks for the reminder that what we all do holds significance to someone, somewhere.

rychelle said...

can you send that woman to my cubicle? i need some affirmation today.

ParentingPink said...

Oh, Bravo! As a former therapist, I was on the receiving end of visits from pharmaceutical companies - but here's the thing, I was ALWAYS polite. Though I'm not a psychiatrist, I do believe that medications save peoples lives and make them better. It's too bad so many doctors give you a hard time. After all, they couldn't help their patients - or that sweet woman in the lobby- unless you're around peddling their ware!

So, no need to call yourself a "drug whore", unless, of course, you like the term. Hmmmm, it's kinda growing on me! LOL

Thanks for this enlightening post!

Tuesday Girl said...

My husband was a rep for 10+ years. Ther are ones you help with the drugs and ones you can't. He also sold drugs for depression, so I know exactly what you do and what you have to go through.

posthumous pointer
To laugh often and love much; to win the respect of intelligent persons and the affection of children; to earn the approbation of honest citizens and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to give of one's self; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to have played and laughed with enthusiasm and sung with exultation; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived - this is to have succeeded. - Emerson