Thursday, October 2, 2008

Shave it, Baby...Take it ALL off...



So this is turning into "cause" week...

I want to tell you about a PHENOMENAL organization I was privileged to be a part of this year:
St. Baldricks.

On your own you can click through and learn how they started, but essentially they are a research and funding charity for children's cancer research.

The bare nuts of the process is that people raise money for childhood cancer, and then come together in empathy to shave their heads for the cause. I was fortunate enough to be part of the Austin, Texas shaving in March of this year, and the entire Austin venue raised almost $48,000 for childhood cancer research and fellowships. Just by jokers like me who shaved their heads. (Please ignore my weight in this photo...I dropped 30lbs since then...)

At one point in the event, Chandra, the phenom event coordinator, had us look up from the courtyard we were being shaved in and wave at the kids in the hospital window above that we were helping, who were all standing at the window waving back at us...there are few things in life that grab your heart as much as that moment did for me.

At another supreme moment a female doctor walked out of the hospital, into the courtyard, obviously moved by what was happening, and had the barber shear off her long, auburn locks. Incredible moments, by ordinary people.

So in March of 2009, it is time to shave again. Will you think about what you might do to support this unparalleled cause? Will you shave? Will you contribute? Will you come to watch, and clap, and cry, and celebrate?

I dont think there is much that will keep me away.



PS- It's coming...the first ever Halftime Lessons CONTEST!!!
Tune in Sunday for this phenomenal TRIPLE GIVEAWAY!!!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

12 comments:

Deb said...

i think it suits you!

so your heart is bigger than your mouth, after all...

Luanne said...

Wow! That is so cool! And when I read the part about waving up at the kids watching you....tugged my heart! It's people like you that make this world a good place to be :)

Kristina P. said...

Jay, this is awesome! What a great thing to do. I'm looking forward to the giveaway.

rychelle said...

*goosebumps*
great story. great cause. thanks for doing this and for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that Jay. I needed a boost. It has been hard to get motivated this year to plan our 09 event. It is crazy when you find life getting in the way of a wonderful event that helps so many children. March 21st is the date...mark you calanders!

Ash said...

I've witnessed a good friend and my mother-in-law battle (and beat!) cancer. It's difficult to watch.

But when I witness a child battle cancer, in those moments, I find myself questioning God and His intentions.

Good for you for making a difference. Thanks for sharing.

Em

Tony@ That One Paticular Harbor said...

My Man, That was awesome. What a great cause. we are big contributors to the CCA (Children's Cancer Association ) here in Oregon. Alayna our 8yr old unknown to us took all $35 she had earned doing chores to school nd donated it. Her teacher called to make sure it was ok. Kids- just wonderful caring souls. Keep the good Karma rolling brother.

Tony

Brittany said...

Amazing. AMAZING! I even teared up reading this, and that is hard for us heart of stone types:)

Jenni said...

What an awesome event! You're awesome for taking part! :*)

Carissa(GoodnCrazy) said...

Hey I teared up at that. Rude.

and Bald? Oh my?

(am off to see the 30 lbs posts)

We do the diabetes walk a thon.. every other year. So as always...hit me up in March and I'll hit you up next October...

Petunia said...

That is awesome! Men are lucky because they can still look handsome even if they are bald.
Thanks for commenting on my blog!

Linda S said...

Just found your blog thru Carissa! And this was a great story to tune into! What a bunch of great guys!

posthumous pointer
To laugh often and love much; to win the respect of intelligent persons and the affection of children; to earn the approbation of honest citizens and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to give of one's self; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to have played and laughed with enthusiasm and sung with exultation; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived - this is to have succeeded. - Emerson