I awoke recently at 2am for no good reason as I do more and more these days, and discovered this post from MamaKat about yet another family who lost a child to Cancer.
Some of you may know that this subject is near and dear to my heart as I lost my cousin last year to Cancer, and my mom goes in this week for a single mastectomy to ensure a long life with many grandchildren.
Therefore, I choose this Tuesday's Tribute to make 5 statements.
1. There is not one of us that this disease hasn't touched.
2. I don't care who you are, you don't deserve cancer.
3. Kids REALLY don't deserve having to go through all the baggage that comes with this disease...surgeries, chemotherapy, radiation, pain, nausea, the loss of their hair and nails...and worse.
4. The only thing that will lead to a cure is continued research.
and finally...my announcement:
5. On March 21, I will be shaving my head again in support of children's cancer research though the amazing national organization called St. Baldrick's.
Can I share with you a goose-bumpy story? Last year as we all gathered to shave our heads in empathy outside the medical center, our organizer motioned for us all to look up at the windows where the children on the oncology ward were standing and waving at us...one female doctor from the hospital was so moved by what was going on outside that she came out, walked to the front of the line, and asked us to shave every bit of the beautiful long auburn hair running down the length of her back. People cried, and laughed, and cheered, and gave everything they could to help try to stop one more child from having to go through a terrible ordeal.
This will be the second year I do this...last year I personally raised over $1600, and our venue, one of hundreds, raised over $60,000. And yes, today I am here to ask your help. There are a number of ways you can get involved.
1. You can join up, raise money, and shave your head like I do. Go here for details.
2. If you are trained, you could volunteer to be a Barber at one of the events.
3. Or if you are unable to participate in those ways, you can simply support me. $5, $10, $25, $100, whatever. EVERY BIT COUNTS. You can donate in your own name, or in someone else's, or even anonymously if you wish. Please visit my St. Baldrick's website here where you can contribute to my venue, see pictures from last year's shaving, and learn more about St. Baldrick's in general.
To Donate on the St. Baldrick's website with credit card, GO HERE.
To Donate Via PayPal, use the button below. Since PayPal funds can't be sent directly to St. Baldrick's, I have set up a PayPal account, where I will compile your contributions, and then use my own credit card to forward your donations to St. Baldrick's. What's more, since PayPal likes to take a piece of your contribution, I will supplement your contribution with my own funds to cover any PayPal fees, so your entire contribution gets to St. Baldrick's.
Tuesday's tribute is for shining your light on deserving people, things, heck even the UN-deserving!! I hope you all see this week's tribute as YOUR chance to help all those kids who are suffering from this terrible disease, as well as all those kids who WILL unless we continue the work to find a cure.
Yet Another Jay and Deb Production.
To participate in Tuesday's Tribute, Fill out a Mr. Linky below with your name and URL address to your Tribute. Need a details, or a button? Go Here.