Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Tuesday's Tribute - To happier times.


Hi.
It has not gone unnoticed that my blog has become a bit "heavy" lately with talk of sadness, feelings, tragedy, and cancer. And in fact, I had a big plan to lighten up today's Tuesday's Tribute with something light and pithy...you know, get back to basics.

But in the end, I am, like many of you, a parent. Of beautiful and innocent (mostly...but that's another tribute) kids. So before I could sit down and crack wise to you again, yesterday 11 month old Cora died. And again, like with Tuesday's family, I feel for these people. Now because I know what it feels like to love something more than I love myself, which is quite an accomplishment. And now that I know how cancer affects the young like Cora and Tuesday, and the older like their parents. And my mom. And my cousin. And me.

Many of you regulars know that Deb and I designed Tuesday's Tribute last year as merely a promotional tool, a chance to encourage others to talk about things they loved, or admired, or were thankful of, on Tuesdays. Anything other than our regular and beloved self-absorption! ;-) And at that time, neither Deb nor I had even heard of Tuesday Whitt, and her struggle. So this week I got an email from someone asking if we were somehow affiliated with Tuesday's family, and I told her what I will tell you now: I didn't know Tuesday Whitt, and don't know her family. But that being said, like many of you, I have been affected by her. So I will simply use my blog at times like these to honor the memories and struggles of undeserving victims of cancer like Tuesday and Cora, and I will try to raise money for accredited organizations like St. Baldrick's, and hope that in doing so I am somehow reducing the chance of someone else I love being affected by a horrible disease.

So today's tribute is to "happier times", and getting back to them, soon. And the only way I can think to deal with the sadness is to do something about the sadness. And my plan is to still raise as much money as I can to aid in cancer research for St. Baldrick's this month, and then shave my head on March 21st in tribute to a lot of kids who lose their hair and nails, and who don't get to make the choice to do so.

And in addition, tomorrow I will be taking my camera to work to find something happy/hilarious/disgusting/riveting to share with you on Angie's Wordful Wednesday. No Cancer talk. Promise.


For more information about contributing to the Cora Playground, visit www.corapaige.com. To contribute to my St. Baldrick's efforts, please go here.

Tuesday's Tribute
Yet Another Jay and Deb Production.

To participate in Tuesday's Tribute, Fill out a Mr. Linky below with your name and URL address to your Tribute. Need a details, or a button? Go Here.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

34 comments:

Summer said...

I think what you are doing is amazing and I respect you so much for it!

Young Momma said...

You're awesome!!

Liz {Learning To Juggle} said...

I was in shock when I read about Cora the other day. I am still in shock that someone so young and innocent can go so quickly. I cherish my boys even more now (if that is even possible) I remember that every day with them really is a blessing.

jill jill bo bill said...

Thank God you plan on being yourself. I will just be glad to read comments other than "you are awesome" and "you are so wonderful". I am ready for the "egads, you dork!" and "are you sure you aren't gay?" Those are my favorite. I do love you, even nice and mushy.

Julie said...

I had just heard about Tuesday just recently & I was wondering if this meme was made because of her.

This is my first time joining in. Thanks for inviting me!

Mary@Holy Mackerel said...

You are awesome.

I read about Cora, and shed tears. She died of the same cancer my son had, but he survived.

She didn't have a chance, it seems.

KatBouska said...

Summer's totally hitting on you. Ignore her.

Seriously though, you're so sweet...I started following Cora's story a few weeks ago and broke into tears last night when I read the weekend update. Kainoa was having a hard time and I rocked him to sleep just thinking about that family and what they would give to rock their cranky baby to sleep. I have it so good. And I think the scary thing about Tuesday and Cora is that it could easily be Kainoa. That fact is not lost on me. My blog could be that blog next year...I just pray that we'll find a cure for this stupid disease and I'm so thankful there are people like you in this world working hard to do SOMETHING.

KatBouska said...

PS I'm clicking on your ads and I encourage ALL your readers to do so...at the very least.

KatBouska said...

ps again, your ads are currently for "portable event bathrooms"...

I've been SEARCHING for one of those!!

Straight to Your Hart said...

It is never a sad thing to be inspiring!!

Annie said...

I love all the tributes- silly and somber.Mine will hit in a few hours.

Lisa @ Crazy Adventures in Parenting said...

Not another child lost, no! I am just so ANGRY at these beautiful children being lost to this horrible disease. I can't stand it!!!

I wish there was something I could do, other than cry, and be angry.

Sarah said...

Well, I kept mine light and goofy ~ I'm a little worried they might sick PETA on me though.

Thanks for highlighting the families of these children. They need all the support we can give them during their sorrow.

t said...

So, so sick to my stomach. I lost my Dad to cancer and I just read the entire blog about Cora's little life. That little life was a whirlwind and her face was just so beautiful. It's amazing what you're doing...and thanks for making me realize how dammed lucky I am to have 5 healthy children.

You look great with a shaved head. Even better because it's a great cause.

Even the sarcastic Daily Blonde cries...a lot....after reading Cora's blog tonight, I'm pissed that life is just so unfair.

Brenda said...

I think this is a great idea. . . joining for the first time.

angi_b72 said...

Much respect Jay!!

Deb said...

oh jay. i don't think you are writing anything the rest of us aren't feeling.

Ash said...

I had to go light today - Cora's news broke the last bit of heart I had left right now.

You're a good soul, Jay. Em

Kim said...

YOU are doing great "work." Keep it up.

Cajoh said...

Your saving of your head is tempting— I may do it next year since I don't have that much to shave anyway.

I'm having my first of three posts on my followers. You're cohort in crime Deb is one of them today.

Enjoy,

kel said...

great job, jay! as usual, i love your posts whether they are sad or silly. you rock! (and i don't use capital letters)

Sera said...

I guess there's a time to be funny and time to be serious, and you're very good at both. I appreciate everything that you are doing, as well as the awareness you're spreading through the blogging world.

The Frugal Angel-Guided Psychic said...

You are a "gem among men." In a good way. Thank you.

Anna Lefler said...

Lovely post - I'm off to donate to St. Baldrick's now!

:^) Anna

Ali said...

I followed Tuesday's story but haven't read about Cora yet. Truthfully, I don't know if a can--it's so hard to read about these tragedies. But they do make me realize just how lucky I am to be able to tuck my boys in at night.

jo@blog-diggidy said...

my heart breaks for these families!! my heart actually hurts, jay...to think that others will go through and are going through what i went through (although my situation is a little different, i know the pain of losing a child). thank you for being an advocate for them and for everything you're doing to help!

Valerie said...

I just posted about Cora myself. So sad. Loved your post!

Claremont First Ward said...

Heavy is good. It makes us think....and feel.

Humor is good too though. I can't wait to see what you have in store.

I'm going to be back on the Tuesday Tribute next week, too. :)

Alisha said...

i think what you are doing is awesome!

Crafty Christina said...

Its so asd that these children have to go through this. Thanks for bringing attention to what we can do.

Beth said...

Sometimes we need to talk about cancer and other downers. While many times there is sadness, I am still reminded of all the wonderful things in the world. Thanks for raising money for this great cause! We are in the midst of raising money at our school for cancer, too.

Jenners said...

Here here. To happier times.

And again I thank you for giving me something positive to do to help out in some little way.

Becca said...

Little Tuesday has just reminded us that EVERY moment should be cherished. I think this is an amazing thing for the Whitt family. They will be able to see how many lives she touched in her short time here.

debi9kids said...

Jay,
I did know Tuesday personally. She changed my life forever.
Her mom is a very dear friend of mine and the things that you are doing mean the world to her and to me.
Thank you jay!
~ Debi

posthumous pointer
To laugh often and love much; to win the respect of intelligent persons and the affection of children; to earn the approbation of honest citizens and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to give of one's self; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to have played and laughed with enthusiasm and sung with exultation; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived - this is to have succeeded. - Emerson