Friday, January 30, 2009

I am a prostitute. There. I said it.



After mentioning yesterday on Facebook that I would be having lunch with one of my doctors who is a homosexual and hates my drug, some questions arose from a few readers. Therefore, today, allow me to briefly explain.

You see, I am a medical representative for a pharmaceutical company. I can't divulge which one, nor can I talk about my drug. But suffice it to say, for better or worse, this is what I have done with my life...so far. When I started blogging I wrote a Dear Mr. Healthcare Provider...sir... post long before anyone but Deb and Nannette were reading me. So being a pharma whore, I am largely looked down on.

Now, I have a tendency to be long winded, which I swear I won't do today. I just wanted to point out one thing that I love about my job. Yesterday my lunch was at a clinic whose doctor does not make appointments. If you want to see him, you come to the clinic, sign in, and wait. Most times, up to FOUR HOURS. His waiting room is standing room only, and people love him...which is fine. But yesterday, one woman was irate in the waiting room due to the duration of time she had been waiting.

Now, I HATE to wait. For ANYTHING. So the greatest part about my job is that I get to spend so much time with so many doctors that I know EXACTLY who to take my kids to, and who to avoid. It really is an unbelievable benefit to having a job that is heartbreakingly demeaning at times.

So today, my friends, I say this to you, as well as that woman in the waiting room yesterday...if you hate your healthcare provider, there are hundreds of thousands of them out there to choose from. And if you REALLY want to find one that will have little waiting room time, go camp out at a high volume primary care clinic, and wait for a rep to come through...stop them and ask who they love in the area. I'm telling you...we aren't just annoying pharmaceutical dirty pirate hookers, we actually may know a thing or two about a thing or two.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

26 comments:

Katie said...

You make a very good point.

Tenakim said...

very good tip- I have a couple friends that are pharm reps- never thought of asking them- I need a doc for myself- thanks for the tip

Anonymous said...

You know, that's quite a good suggestion, Jay. You pharmwhore, you.

The trouble with changing doctors is the whole starting over thing. Fill out forms, get them up to speed with past history, etc. Sometimes complaining is a lot less hassle, you know?

Natalie said...

That is a fabulous point. And I loved the pharma-whores when I had a job. They brought the best lunches & gave me some great pens.

Bramblemoon Farm said...

Okay, but do you give RN's free pens? See, my husband is an RN in an undisclosed inner city ER and it makes his wife (yes, me) REALLY REALLY happy when he brings cool pens home from pharm reps. Just saying.

Very good point on recommendations from pharmwhores-- I had trouble typing that word.

I JUST saw Natalie's comment about pens-- see, pens are good!

Kristina P. said...

Never thought about this.

However, I am disappointed that you aren't an actual manwhore prostitute.

Unknown said...

Wow that was some good info Jay. I never thought of asking those dressed up drug sales folks as they cruise by in any doctor's office I am in.

Ash said...

So, who's a good adult GP in our area?

Argh! Nice booty. (sorry, couldn't resist)

Mary@Holy Mackerel said...

I like drug whores. GOod tip. Thanks!!

SweetPeaSurry said...

How can we know which one is the pharma-who ... erm reps? Do they wear a sign? Carry a briefcase? Have little packets of drugs and paraphenalia attached to their clothing?

Those would be good indicators, but it seems that they would be a bit disconcerting to the doctors ya'll visit.

Have a good one!

Crafty Christina said...

I used to work at a pediatricians office. I loved when the reps came in. Most of them were super nice and I got to know all about them and their families. The occasional lunch was always nice too. :)

Denise @ Sunflowers, Chocolate and Little Boys said...

This was a cool post...I thought you guys just handed out pens and post it notes, lol. Just kidding.

jill jill bo bill said...

You is so smart. And I will be emailing you later, so wait patiently by your computer.

Beth said...

It would have been to know that tip about 18 years ago. Now I'll just ask one of my teacher's husband (pharmwhore extraordinaire) who I should use. Do they have drug reps for vets?

Claremont First Ward said...

My BIL is a pharmaceutic rep too. He's given me great referrals over the years..and great dinners out since my husband is a pharmacist and he could "talk" about his drug. I've been wondering if you work. :)

Tabitha Blue said...

Sounds great... can you find one for me in my city!!!???

Pretty please...

:)
~Tabitha~

freshmommyblog.com

Wendyburd1 said...

Drug rep drug rep!! Can I have free pens and cool things you give nursing homes and stuff?! Puuuhhhh-lease?!! I LOVE drug pens!!

Brittany said...

naving been on the recieving end of many a drug rep catered lunch at my mom's office, i happen to adore you type of prostitution.

Although, I can honestly say I have never meet prostitute I didn't like:)

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

That is a great idea! Pity it has been a couple years since I last saw a rep in my docs office. I think they changed policy & they all have to visit the main office & not the 'rural outreach' one I go to

Lisa @ Crazy Adventures in Parenting said...

That's absolute genius, right there.

Nannette said...

So how did the lunch go? Did it go?

t said...

I used to date a rep turned VP for a big pharma firm. I went to lavish dinners, parties and dammit, I never got samples. Ever.

Do you have anything in stock for this bizarre flu I have, Dr Halftime?

Lee said...

That's genius. Except I like my doctors right now. Usually don't have to wait.

And I'll admit. At times I've let my distaste for pharmaceutical reps known.

Except my dad wants me to go into that line of work.

McMommy said...

I wished you lived in my area so I could pick your brains about docs here.

And of course, I'd expect you to give me all the local doc gossip. Who is sleeping with what nurse, etc. (why do I have to be so shallow??!!)

Jenners said...

I am sensing a sideline job for you in this somewhere ... perhaps a networking blog with doctor waiting times created by you and your colleagues? I get 10% of any and all profits.

And can you blog while waiting on your new stealth computer or do you have to find some kind of "busy work" or can you just read? Cause maybe this would be a good job for me ... I love to wait if I can entertain myself with whatever I want.

tommie said...

Know anyone near Lousiville ??? I know MANY pharm reps....NONE of them can help me...desperate here!

My FIL is a peds doc...I know about the reps! LOL

posthumous pointer
To laugh often and love much; to win the respect of intelligent persons and the affection of children; to earn the approbation of honest citizens and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to give of one's self; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to have played and laughed with enthusiasm and sung with exultation; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived - this is to have succeeded. - Emerson