Thursday, July 23, 2009

BlogHer '09 - YEEEHHAAAAWWWW!!!!! (Day 1)


Ok...so here is how I am gonna do this. I am gonna try to update this same post as much as I can over the next few days, or as much as my cellphone, little Asus Eee and sporadic internet connections will allow. And sorry for any formatting problems you see...this isn't always easy to do on the fly!! So check back directly to this post for updates. Hope you enjoy the action!!

(Latest updates will be at the top of the post)




Thursday, July 23, 6:30pm. A light stomach coating.

Meet Julie, my wife's friend who has been kind enough to stand guard over put me up at her place while I am in Chitown. She has been giving me shit about being a male blogger for the better part of an hour, and appears to be unaffected by my Sex Panther cologne.

She may be quick with a blade...



But she folded like a pansy when I fought back.



And when the salsa came out, she ran like a little girl. I may be a Daddy blogger, but I can take the Central American heat, o prissy one.





Thursday, July 23, 4:30pm. Headed to Julie's.



This time there is nothing questionable on the seat, but a lingering...aroma...is disturbing an otherwise enjoyable ride with my new friend...um...sorry, I have no idea what his name is. I didn't catch it...twice...it seemed to be missing any and all vowels.



Thursday, July 23, 2:30pm. The Sheraton!!

Ok...this is getting very real now, and I am starting to wonder what I am doing coming to hang out with this many women...Maybe I'll make myself an "I am not a Perv" sign to hang around my neck tomorrow. On second thought, why limit my action? Sorry honey, just kidding. ;-)





Thursday, July 23, 11:30am. FAO Schwarz.

I mean, I could cry from the sheer beauty of it. I finally get to spend time in a toy store without screaming "If I have to drag your asses outside I'm gonna knock your heads together!!" At least, I will be in this Mecca of fun until the employees start to look at the creepy guy in the toy store with no kids. Back soon. I wont be taking pictures in here. I mean, I DO have SOME common sense.



Thursday, July 23, 10:30am. Nirvana.

Oh blissful sanctuary thy name is Starbucks. Found a bellman to watch my fine selection of BlogHer apparel for the afternoon so I can cruise around and piss off some passers-by. OMFG I'm in Chicago!!!! That's the one thing I've missed about traveling, is the exploring...if I can just keep the clouds from dumping on my spelunking this afternoon, this might be a nice little day.



I wonder how many of these I could stuff in my cargo shorts before I start to look...suspicious...





Thursday, July 23, 9:00am. Taxi.

OhmysweetbabyJesus this is the most disgusting cab I have ever been in. Ever. Ever. EVER. There is something on the seat, and I have absolutely no idea what it is. I am at a loss for words, and feel faint.



Thursday, July 23, 8:15am. Chicago O'Hare.



So first problem with a last minute trip is that flights are scarce and expensive, so I had to get up at 2am to HOPE to catch a redeye, which now has me standing here in O'Hare amongst construction and dazed travelers in search of my first Starbucks of the trip. Hopefully first of many.

Next problem is that the friend of my wife's that I am staying with doesn't know I am already here, and is at work...which now leaves me with nowhere to go, with luggage, and nowhere to lay my weary dumbass head. Optimistic though. AND FUCKING EXCITED!!! (and nervous). So...gonna try to find a willing ($$$) bellhop, and hopefully go hit the Magnificent Mile. And another Starbucks.







COPYRIGHT HALFTIME LESSONS 2008, 2009
All rights reserved. This content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form, by any means, without the prior written permission of the author.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

jo@blog-diggidy said...

yay starbucks!! hehe...have fun jay, but don't do anything i wouldn't do!! ;) oh wait.... lol

Danyele Easterhaus said...

i soooo wish i was there experiencing starbucks with you...we could do some damage there!

Lee said...

Looks like a hell of a time.
We have an FAO Schwarz here in Vegas, but I've never been to it.
Is it really the wonderland I've heard it is?

Evolving Mommy Catherine said...

This is quite possibly the best post ever! Seriously.

posthumous pointer
To laugh often and love much; to win the respect of intelligent persons and the affection of children; to earn the approbation of honest citizens and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to give of one's self; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to have played and laughed with enthusiasm and sung with exultation; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived - this is to have succeeded. - Emerson