Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Bachelorette (aka...The Dummy)


In an effort to spend time with my sickly wife, I sat to watch the final 20 minutes of an episode of The Bachelorette. I am going against everything I believe in writing a post about a TV reality show, but I have something to say to the throngs of women screaming obscenities at their televisions.

You know who you are.

Have you considered that it is not Wes that is the idiot here?

Wes is a idiot, sure. We all know it. He knows it, and he knows that it will sell a few records, before everyone loses interest again...in say, 5 minutes. It's his schtick, and he's having fun in the spotlight. Douche.

But have you considered that maybe Jillian is the true moron?

This is barely more than the age-old story of the girl more interested in the bad boy than the guy who treats her well, and who is boring by comparison. To go on a reality show looking for Mr. Right and so obviously try to push this genius into that role is laughable. I mean, round peg in a square hole much?

My hope for Jillian is that she has been completely aware how much she has been drooling after the douchebag, and that she has been doing it for ratings. But frankly, I don't think she's that good of an actress.

I had a friend once who was fantastic with the ladies...especially at relationships that lasted 4-5 hours. And he told me that my problem (or one of them) was that I talked to women with respect. "As soon as you start insulting them and treating them like crap in the bar they'll be all over you", he would say.

Um, yeah.

Ladies, when are you going to stop giving Mr. Wrong more chances than you give Mr. Right?

I mean, men are obsessed with boobs, but we don't go out of our way to marry strippers, do we?


Stumble Upon Toolbar

21 comments:

The Mom Jen said...

My hubby would agree with you. He believes anyone going on TV is silly to begin with. I get him all wined up so then he just jokes along as we watch the show together. I would hope that I'd be a better judge of character if I was Jillian...but the bad boy thing...it seems to cloud judgements!

Glad to see you back!

kisatrtle said...

That show is a train wreck from start to finish. Personally, I think she deserves Wes and I hope she can sing back up on one of his breakup songs.

Leslie said...

Oh, I agree with you. Wes IS AN IDIOT. But Jillian definitely tops him in the STUPIDITY category. The crazy part is... she seems so proud of herself for the choices she's been making. Maybe after she sees herself on the show she'll "get it". But I'm not holding my breath. Glad to see you back.

Beth said...

I've never watched this show. Somehow I don't feel I've missed out.

Tony@ That One Paticular Harbor said...

You scared me for a minute. I thought you really watched this crap. LOL

Lisa @ Crazy Adventures in Parenting said...

A-friggin-men! Now can you tell my sister this?

Crafty Christina said...

So glad I don't watch this show.

KatBouska said...

I married Mr. Nice Guy and he's boring as Hell...unless I can get him to start cussing at me. That's always nice.

And Jillian's hole is NOT square.

Ahem.

Kristina P. said...

Seriously, this is the most staged show on TV.

That Janie Girl said...

We are kinda stupid at the giving more chances thing, aren't we?

Tom said...

The good guy/bad guy thing is a mystery to me as well...but what really puzzles me is how you are ever going to get those 20 minutes of your life back you spent watching that show?

Ali said...

Jay, you know way too much about this show. Are you sure you've only watched 20 minutes?:)

Kim said...

I watch the Bachelorette but I do think a lot of it is "staged" and not really reality. That's entertainment...

Dennis and Leslie said...

All I have to say is that I'm soooo not buying his CD, whatev.

Oh, and you can use your sweet, adorable wife as an excuse to watch The Bachelorette....we'll let you ;-)

p.s. Glad you're back!

Rhonda said...

You're back! I knew you'd miss us!

Heather of the EO said...

Back when I was waaaaay immature (even more immature than I am now), I DID fall for the "bad guys." They weren't quite as icky as Wes, but...they just weren't that into me (ahem). Looking back, I think I was just a cliche. It was a game. Somewhere in my crazy head I was thinking "HOW could you not be totally in love with me...so I will MAKE you totally love me and you will like it...hey, where are you going?" Or something like that. Lame. For so many of us it takes so long to believe that we're worthy of the good guy. Thank God I ended up with a good one...

or I'd be all over Wes! ;)

Candice said...

I totally agree.

I'm embarrassed for Jillian. She's a damn tool and deserves to be with an equal match.

Summer said...

Ah Jay. I'm so glad you're back.

Did I use that apostraphe right?

Did I spell apostraphe right?

Didn't think so.

Ash said...

Who says men don't marry strippers - just ask my hubs ;-).

And mark my words, Jillian is totally getting a 10% cut of every CD Wes sells while he remains in the running.

She HAS to be getting paid to keep that guy around. Please tell me she's getting paid!!

Stacy Uncorked said...

The thing about reality shows is the editing takes creative license with everything...so what we see isn't the 'rest of the story'. I actually liked Wes at the beginning and kept thinking they were editing it to make him look like a bad guy...until the last couple of episodes he was on - I would have lost complete faith in Jillian if she had kept him on, especially after he finally started to show his true colors to her, and not just to the other guys.

I have to think that ABC influences some of the decisions because they want to keep the not-so-great people around on any of these shows to boost up the ratings - no wonder hardly any of the Bachelor/Bachelorette people never actually work out. It seems it's usually people looking for their 15 min. of fame... :)

Amy said...

Ugh... you just HAD to go there didn't ya!

I hate the Bachelor/Bachelorette. I watched 1 episode with my SIL while I was visiting her and I just about barfed. lol Seriously, barf taste... in my mouth... just thinking about it..

posthumous pointer
To laugh often and love much; to win the respect of intelligent persons and the affection of children; to earn the approbation of honest citizens and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to give of one's self; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to have played and laughed with enthusiasm and sung with exultation; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived - this is to have succeeded. - Emerson